Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Dee - Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab



Details: 
Dee
Bewitching Brews
Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Notes: 
John Dee: master of science, alchemy and magic. Hermetic philospher in the schools of Rosicrucian Christian Mysticism and Platonic-Pythagorean doctrine, and Queen Elizabeth's astrologer, advisor, cryptologist and spy. With Edward Kelly, he created a field of study and work in Angelic Evocation, and isolated the Angelic language: Enochian. His scent is soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods. 


I had an imp of Dee a couple of years ago and I remember I liked it enough that I was considering a full size bottle at one point. This time around I’m not so enamoured of it. In the imp and when first applied, it reminded me a lot of some kind of common 1970s cologne – the kind my dad would have been wearing back in the day. It’s a little bit sweet as well, like there’s cologne mixed with baby powder. When I looked up the notes I realised why – my dad used to wear English Leather and this is pretty much exactly what it smells like. When I smell this I think of terrible 1970s Cleo centrefolds (you’d have to be a 35+ Aussie to get that), dad shorts with socks and sandals, Abba, olive green and orange kitchen decor, and rissoles. It’s... well, it’s daggy. That’s pretty much it.

What I think of when I smell this perfume (that's my brother mid 1970s)

Rating:
2/5

Day 37!

5 comments:

  1. It´s strange how ones impressions of a scent changes with time... I don´t know if I´d like this one. I wasn´t around in the 70s so I´d probably not get those kinds of associations. But old cologne isn´t very nice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a weird attachment to some older fragrances, just because they stir up a lot of memories. But this one... no...

      Delete
  2. I know I'm a weirdo, but I would probably love this scent, haha! Too bad it didn't work out for you, cause you could have worn it around town and when asked about your perfume, say in a very fancy voice, "why yes, this perfume was named after ME." lol c:

    I had this happen with Paramour by The Morbid The Merrier. I loved it so much, but now I just tolerate it. I guess some smellies age well, some don't at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking back, I reckon that's why I was intending to buy a full bottle! My full name is Wendy and when I was little that wasn't a common name so whenever we were in one of those shops that had keyrings or cups or whatever with names on them, mine was never one of them. I always felt so left out!

      Delete
  3. Never tried this one...does not look like I missed much...

    ReplyDelete