Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ostara - Alchemic Muse


Details: 
Ostara
Spring 2012
Alchemic Muse

Notes: 
The eternal embodiment of spring pays tribute to you with a mix of hyacinth blossoms, myrtle, and wild heather fused with the soft green foliage of moss and ivy, gently grounded by a warm and earthy base of clove, cinnamon, and myrrh.

Not to put too fine a point on it, in the bottle this smells very synthetic. And yet I like it. It's so old lady-ish and I have a fondness for old lady perfumes. Applied the synthetic note is still there, but not as obvious. I smell hyacinths and lots of lush, damp greenery. It makes me think of an English country garden - something like this:


Despite the apparent presence of possible amping notes like clove and cinnamon, this doesn't really change much on me as it dries down. I like it, though it’s nothing amazing – just a pretty, very old lady-ish Springtime floral. Noodles commented on this one too, just after I applied it she walked in and asked what I was wearing and said, “I like it.” High praise indeed. It’s quite strong at first, but the dry down is close to the skin. Longevity is medium – about 4 hours or so.

Rating:
3/5 As I said, it’s a very pretty floral, but it’s nothing remarkable.

Day 44!

4 comments:

  1. I think I have a weird fondness for old lady perfumes. Before I was very much into perfume, I got Moschino Couture from my dad (per Christmas gift request). It is really old-ladyish... But I like it a lot! My bf has told me a couple of my perfumes smell "like an old lady, but good." After all, old ladies have been around a while and they know what perfumes are good by now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love old lady perfumes. Most of the commercial ones I like would go in that category, and among those I especially like what I think of as 'rich old lady' perfumes - the really lush ones that scream old money, like First by Van Cleef & Arpels. But I still love me a cheapo Yardley floral every now and then. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Judging only by the notes, I should be able to enjoy it... I love green and earthy and those florals are ones I can enjoy. But if it smelled like you described it on me I would hate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really odd that the clove and cinnamon didn't come out on me as those are notes that usually go nuts on my skin. I wonder if it would be different for others?

      Delete